The towns keep getting smaller and smaller

Trip : Campbellton to Petit Rocher
Distance: 102.45km


Today was pretty much a gift, as it was a super-easy cycling day. As always, I was one of the last ones out of camp, but I started the day in the lovely company of Iona an Lori. I say started, as it wasn’t long down the road that I lost them to an “alternate route” (that’s a polite way of saying they got lost, isn’t it?). Actually, they tried to shake me about 2km into the ride when they were blowing through a light at the bottom of a hill and I was screaming about needing to turn left?you know, towards the big sign announcing the 134. Good times.

We had to detour off of the 134 due to construction (this is where I lost Iona and Lori ? they thought the sign said “detour in 6km” when really it was a detour for 6km). In order to get to said detour we had to climb a 350, 13% grade hill. Oh man were my legs moving then. I was standing on the pedals, just trying to keep them turning and I knew if I sat down it was all over. On the bright side, by the time I got to the top I had warmed up quite considerably and was able to get rid of one of my many layers. The second bright side was that highway 11 ? where our detour took us ? was positively gorgeous, and I flew for the entirety of my time on it. At one point I saw a sign stating that Bathurst was in 90 or so kilometres and because the road was so awesome I was sorely tempted to just go there instead.

The first stop of the day was 30km in, in Dalhousie. I found out later in the day that my mom actually lived in Dalhousie as a kid (they went from Montreal to Dalhousie to Toronto), so that was kind of neat. I actually passed my mom’s old school, and the infamous church where she cut the wicks off the candles when she was a young, rebellious child. Dalhousie was also home to a yummy (and massive) second breakfast, and then a journey to get internet. The library was closed, but the info centre offered internet for $2.00/hr, so that was perfect. I spent just over two hours there, updating and putting up pictures (which apparently I hadn’t done since August 9th). Itwas close to 1:00 when I finished up my internet-related tasks, so I stopped at Subway on my way out of town. It was somewhere after 1:30 when I finally hit the road towards Petit Rocher for real. Normally this wouldn’t have bothered me at all, but I was on galley crew tonight and felt some pressure to get in at a moderately decent hour. Little did I know that the wind was going to be on my side for once. I just blew through the 70km I had left to go, and got into camp before 4:00. It was awesome. The scenery (well, aside from the logging area and the smelter plant) was also great. Really, it was a wonderfully relaxing afternoon ? great for a solo ride.

I didn’t have particularly high expectations for dinner tonight, considering that it was an odd mishmash of beans, pasta, ham, cheese, tomatoes and broccoli, but it seems to have turned out to be at least edible, if not okay. It started to cool off right quick after we had finished cleaning up, and I felt really glad that when I stopped in Toronto I had decided to pick up my polypropylene shirt (the absolute best lost and found find EVER). It was a little chilly while I tried to read before going to sleep, but once I cocooned myself deep inside my sleeping bag, everything was a-okay.

Leave a Reply